[CentOS] CentOS 5.0 - Yum install using the install cd's as the RPM source

Keith Christian

keithchristian at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 7 17:43:00 UTC 2007

What is the mechanism or procedure for installing additional packages from the six CentOS 5.0 CD's using Yum, assuming a secured server with no outside internet connection?

Debian based distributions are able to use the package manager to search for and install from the CD's, and I'm looking for the CentOS equivalent.

Obviously, it's possible to install "manually" from a CD with:

        mount -t iso9660 /dev/hdc /media/cdrom
        cd /media/cdrom/CentOS
        rpm -U foobar-1.2.3.-4.5.el5.i386.rpm

Yum has such good dependency checking I'd like to know of a way to use it if possible.

========Keith