[CentOS] Postfix dying

Christopher Chan christopher at ias.com.hk
Thu Nov 8 02:36:52 UTC 2007

Paul Norton wrote:
> Hello list,
>
> Postfix is dying on one of my servers almost nightly.  This system is
> running CentOS5 with postfix-2.3.3-2.
>
> In the morning (after noticing it died) I try to run `service postfix
> stop` and I get a failed start.  Running `ps ax | grep postfix` I can
> see one process still running for postfix.  After killing this, I am
> able to run `service postfix start`.

Which process is it? smtpd? master?

> I see a lot of this in my maillog:

> Nov  7 00:25:13 servername postfix/smtpd[16723]: warning: connect to
> private/anvil: Resource temporarily unavailable
> Nov  7 00:25:13 servername postfix/smtpd[16723]: warning: problem
> talking to server private/anvil: Resource temporarily unavailable
>
> TIA for any suggestions.

I cannot work out when postfix 2.3.3 was released...there was a bugfix
related to anvil in Dec 2005 and I am using 2.3.5 without this
particular problem. Speaking of which, it is time for me to upgrade to
2.3.13 or the latest 2.4.x . You might want to turn on debugging to find
out what is going on with anvil.