[CentOS] Taking file from pyhsical disk to new virtual disk

William L. Maltby

CentOS4Bill at triad.rr.com
Thu Nov 8 16:13:36 UTC 2007

On Wed, 2007-10-24 at 19:41 +0200, Alain Spineux wrote:
> On 10/24/07, Jerry Geis <geisj at pagestation.com> wrote:
> > Hi
> >
> > I am playing with virtualization on centos 5.
> > I have an old redhat 7 system I still need so I want to virtualize it.
> > I found the old disk, installed in the virtual environment but found
> > I had done some additions WAY back.
> > I want to be sure my virtual system is exactly the same as the ACTUAL
> > system.
> >
> > Do I use cpio on the actual system to grab everything and then put that
> > back on the
> > virtual system?
>
> I'm more "tar" adept !
> Here is the tar command :
> <snip>

> cpio require you to use a filesysteme walker like find to generate the
> list of file you wan to  copy.

FYI: the list of files/dirs to be copied can be in a file too. Allows
utils like comm or diff to be used for various paring/augmenting
operations before/after the copy.

> Something like :
> # find . | cpio ???? | (cd /dst ; cpio ??? )

No need for the pipe/sub-shell with cpio. It is fully featured.

However, with "fully featured" comes the need to RTFM and carefully
think about it... sometimes.

A simple case used to be (I haven't kept abreast of all the
"enhancements")

    find . | cpio -p<other options> <destination-dir>

<snip>

> > Is there a better way?

Not IMHO.

> > Jerry