[CentOS] status of Centos 5.1?

James A. Peltier jpeltier at cs.sfu.ca
Thu Nov 8 17:38:11 UTC 2007

Karanbir Singh wrote:
> Stephen John Smoogen wrote:
>
> I am not sure what you mean by CentOS-5 IA64 port being 5.1 ??? All Arch
> releases follow the same update / rebuild cycle.

This was more a question of whether the CentOS 5.0 build would just be
skipped in place of a 5.1 build since there has not yet been a CentOS
5.0 build for IA64 released yet.  So with that said "All Arch releases
follow the same update / rebuild cycle" isn't really all that accurate. :)

> Anyway, once we get the release out - the updates on IA64 will track
> i386/x86_64 very closely ( prolly in sync ). This does depend on
> hardware availability. At the moment we have 2 cores churning out the
> _entire_ IA64 stuff. And we dont really have failover capability. So if
> someone has IA64 h/w around that they want to donate, it would be much
> welcome.

Trust me, if my SGI Altix machines weren't being used right now to do
real work I would happily allow you to build on them.  I'm sure that 96
processors and 96GB of memory could be of some use.  If there is a way
that they could be I would be happy to schedule my own time on them to
help out.

> err ? There will be a 5.1 IA64 release within 2 to 3 weeks of
> i686/x86_64 going out to the mirrors. We have IA64 availability within
> the buildsystem and tracking buildqueues.
>
> I am saying 2 to 3 weeks, just so we get the bandwidth to test this
> thing a bit.

No problems, and if I can help out in any way please don't hesitate to
contact me off list.

--
James A. Peltier
Technical Director, RHCE