[CentOS] Oracle Instant Client 11g on CentOS 5 (32-bit) workaround

Jay Leafey

jay.leafey at mindless.com
Thu Nov 8 19:07:46 UTC 2007

I downloaded the RPMs from the Oracle web site (otn.oracle.com) and
successfully installed them on my C5 box, but the sqlplus client
software would not run properly.  After a few iterations with sealert, I
finally got a handle on what was happening.

It turns out that most of the shared libraries Oracle installs need to
have their SElinux file context modified to allow relocation.   Here's
the quick-and-dirty routine I use to repair this:

find /usr/lib/oracle/11.1.0.1/client/lib -type f -name \*.so\* \
     -exec chcon -t textrel_shlib_t {} \;

Obviously you could get around this by disabling SElinux, but I really
want to avoid that if possible.

Now a quick question:  does anybody know if there is any way to
configure SElinux so that the context for these files won't be "fixed"
by a restorecon operation on this directory?

Thanks!
--
Jay Leafey - Memphis, TN
jay.leafey at mindless.com