[CentOS] Re: Open Source CPanel equivalent for CentOS?

Stephen John Smoogen smooge at gmail.com
Sun Nov 11 19:33:13 UTC 2007

On Nov 11, 2007 9:29 AM, Eric B. <ebenze at hotmail.com> wrote:
> "Barry Brimer" <lists at brimer.org> wrote in
> message news:Pine.LNX.4.61.0711102120060.25289 at localhost.localdomain...
> >> Hi,
> >>
> >> I was wondering if anyone knew of a solid, reliable Open Source
> >> equivalent
> >> of Cpanel/Plesk that I can run on my CentOS boxes.  I've done some
> >> searching
> >> around and find a bunch of them which seem to have stopped or stalled
> >> development, but I am figuring that there has got to be a strong market /
> >> demand for something out there.
> >>
> >> Is anyone using something secure, solid and complete?  I don't need
> >> something for users to sign up themselves online, but would like
> >> something
> >> to give them abilities to administer their own domains.  I am more than
> >> happy to move my entire existing mail  server and accounts to something
> >> new
> >> if I can give my users this ability.
> >
> > Webmin/Virtualmin/Usermin <http://www.webmin.com>
> > Emu <http://www.emusoftware.com/>
>

> Thanks for the links.  I had already looked at Webmin, but after doing more
> research on it, ppl seemed to think it could be a security leak.

cpanel, webmin, vnc etc are ALL security leaks. The issue is mitigating and
managing the Security problem so that you can accomplish your project.

Personally I have spent a lot of time cleaning up vnc, cpanel, and webmin
systems because people didn't take that time to figure out what could be
a problem and how to handle it. I prefer not to use them or give them to people
who aren't aware of the risks and have a plan to deal with those risks.