[CentOS] Automatic User Based Mounts

Scott Moseman

scmoseman at gmail.com
Mon Nov 12 19:32:14 UTC 2007

Let's say I have a Samba server for my file serving needs.  Would
there be any way to configure CentOS to automatically mount a few
specified partitions as the user logging in?  Something of the nature
of /mnt/home, /mnt/pictures, /mnt/music and so forth.  They need to be
mounted as the current user, and I prefer not to customize shell based
login scripts.  Can this be done through fstab somehow?  Or some other
method?  I can make, and currently utilize, SMB share links on my
desktop for accessing them.  However, when applications want to open
or save directly to the file system, I'm unable to reach the network
shares.  In the grand scheme of things, this makes having network
shares pretty much useless.  There must be a better way?

Thanks,
Scott