[CentOS] Installing skype in CentOS 5

Andrew Allen andy.allen at virgin.net
Tue Nov 13 18:06:31 UTC 2007

> >> Skype makes a statically compiled version of the program.  I use it
> >> every day on CentOS-5 without problem.
> >>
> >> Upgrading to QT 4 is not, IMHO, a very good idea if you want other
> >> things to work that are compile against qt3 ... that is just my opinion.
> >
> > Johnny,
> >
> > CentOS offers both qt and qt4 packages on CentOS 5.
> >

> Thanks .. right, can install qt4 as well as qt ... let me see if I can
> make that work :D
>
> > Skype does make a CentOS package available that looks pretty much as if it
> > has been build on CentOS as well. They even advertise it using the CentOS
> > logo.
>
> I see, for the newer Beta version.  Thank you for pointing that out.
>

> > See the link for yourself:
> >
> > 	http://www.skype.com/intl/en/download/skype/linux/beta/choose/
> >
> > Package installs without a problem.
> >
> > 	[dag at rhun dag]# rpm -q skype
> > 	skype-2.0.0.13-centos
>
> Thank you very much for pointing out that new beta version.  I will add
> that to the wiki as well.
>

> Thanks,
> Johnny Hughes

Thanks guys for all the really helpful information - brilliant! I've now
installed the beta version (the wiki.centos link was very helpful) and
it's working on my CentOS 5 system, except that I can't get anything
through my microphone - I've got sound through the speakers, so the
soundcard seems to be configured OK. The same hardware works fine in
Windows XP (dual-boot system). Any ideas please on how to configure
and/or test the microphone and get it working, 'coz skype aint gonna be
much use without it!

Thanks,
Andy