[CentOS] OT: Slow browsers or slow connections?

John R Pierce pierce at hogranch.com
Wed Nov 14 20:06:42 UTC 2007

Mark Hull-Richter wrote:
> On Tue, 2007-11-13 at 11:54 -0500, Ross S. W. Walker wrote:
>

>> 3 possible scenarios:
>>
>> 1) DNS not properly configured
>>
>> Make sure your resolv.conf is properly configured, if you are doing
>> DHCP look into having your resolv.conf set through it, if you are
>> using PPPOE you can have the ppp daemon set it too if the DNS is
>> passed over the ppp connection.
>>

> Don't have a resolve.conf.

no /etc/resolv.conf means no DNS name resolution.   are you SURE of
this?  its `resolv` without an e.

mine often look like...

    $ cat /etc/resolv.conf
    search hogranch.com
    nameserver 127.0.0.1
    nameserver 66.117.136.6
    nameserver 66.117.151.5

(localhost is first because I'm running my own DNS caching server on
that system, used by my LAN, the other two are my ISP's primary lookup
servers)