[CentOS] IO causing major performance issues

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Fri Nov 16 00:00:35 UTC 2007

Ross S. W. Walker wrote:

>>> Yes, IO starvation can occur under heavy load.
>> But it should stall the process needing to write, not everything.
>
> There is only 1 disk though and if that disk is busy writing it
> can't read.

But if it weren't for the accumulation of stuff in the raid card queue,
other processes should get an equal shot fairly quickly.  I think that
raid card just treats draining the whole queue as one operation.

>>> You would also notice a dramatic speed increase in MySQL.
>> I'm not sure the needed temp table space is predictable.  I've seen
>> mysql be pretty dumb about how it does a select that joins
>> several tables.
>
> True, but take an average and that should suffice, MySQL will wait
> if temp space fills up.

What does that mean if it needs more than the available space to
complete a single operation - like a multi-table join that decides to
copy the whole tables to temp files?

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com