[CentOS] Basic Network question pinging different subnets

Bob Metelsky bobmetelsky at comcast.net
Sat Nov 17 04:27:30 UTC 2007

>> Any ideas why this is happening? I dont have a firewall on the 10.54
>> address,
>
> presumably, the windows machine is connected to the 'eth0' network
> that the centos machines are connected to?
>
> how exactly do you expect the packets to get from there to the other
> network?  the windows machine has been instructed to forward all
> unknown packets to 10.54.7.1, which presumably is some other sort of
> router...   chances are, said 10.54.7.1 has no clue where 10.54.0.xxx is.

Ya-  I see - your right the router is 10.54.7.1  The rest of the network
switches are  hubs off of that (all still 10.54.7.)

this private network is truly private  (independent to the 2 computers
connected) in other words they are off the network, their traffic oesn't
go through a switch.

I didn't give this enough thought ....

the fact is I dont need to connect to the 0 address directly from the
windows machine. The 0 address is only for private network between the
database servers...

I was just curious that I couldn't ping them, I thought ping (and the
port scanner) should magically find them (like dns) ...

> solution 1) configure a linux computer to do 'ip forwarding', and give
> the windows machine a route like...
>
>    C>  route add 10.54.0.0 mask 255.255.255.0 gw 10.54.7.2
>
> or, solution 2) configure the router at 10.54.7.1 to have a route to
> this other network.
>

> if both networks are on the same hub/switch, then I can only ask... WHY?

Thanks for the insight,

Bob