[CentOS] Dual boot box: WinXP & CentOS 5: Impossible to restore WinXP?

Lanny Marcus lannyma at gmail.com
Sun Nov 18 21:54:17 UTC 2007

On Nov 18, 2007 4:38 PM, MrKiwi <mrkiwi at gmail.com> wrote:
> The problem is the mbr - i had the same problem trying to
> put a replacement sata drive into a machine - it had
> previously had centos on it, and i was trying to install xp.
>
> The solution for me was to use a dos boot disk and run
> fdisk /mbr
> however im not sure how that will affect your dual boot
> situation.
>
> Anyway ... the mbr issue will get you going in the right
> direction. Apparently xp cd gets hung if it cant make sense
> of the mbr, even if other disks exist with window-happy mbrs.

Mr. Kiwi: Thank you! I have a feeling this is the only path. I am
going to wait until the long Thanksgiving weekend and if another
possible solution doesn't appear, I think I will try what you
suggested, before I wipe the drive. If I fdisk /mbr and am then able
to restore the user32.dll file in WinXP, hopefully, after that, I
could reinstall GRUB and have my dual boot box working again. If not,
probably I will need to wipe the HD and install both OS's again. Lanny