[CentOS] Dual boot box: WinXP & CentOS 5: Impossible to restore WinXP?

Alain Spineux aspineux at gmail.com
Sun Nov 18 22:03:53 UTC 2007

On Nov 18, 2007 10:41 PM, Lanny Marcus <lannyma at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 18 November 2007, Alain Spineux aspineux at gmail.com wrote:
> <snip>
> >BartPE found that WinME was installed on that box and it died there.
> >If you have any ideas about how I can make the BartPE CD, on a non
> >WInME box, they will be much appreciated! TIA, Lanny
>
> Making the BartPE CD on a WinME box is apparently impossible. Here's
> what it says on this URL:
> http://www.nu2.nu/pebuilder/faq/#12
> "Can Windows 9x/ME be used to build BartPE?
> No, absolutely not!"
>
> This box is dead in the water, with respect to booting WinXP, because
> of the corrupted or missing user32.dll. We only have this one box with
> WinXP, so unless there's another solution for me to rescue WinXP, I
> will need to format and reinstall WinXP and CentOS5.  TIA, Lanny

Some other idea:

- ask someone with a winxp to build a bart-pe for you.

- linux can mount windows partitions, vfat without problem, ntfs with
a beta driver
(moreover it is recommended to use it in read-only, but you have no
choice). Not sure
it is easy to find ntfs module with read-write enable  for your centos.

- Other way, install vmware-server (that's free and not too difficult
to install) and
install  a winxp on it, then from this virtual-machine,  repair your
native XP partition.
Or maybe just configure a virtual disk AND mount your physical drive
as a secon drive
and then boot this dual drive virtual machine with the original XP CD
and try to repair it that way
without install XP for real.

- OR find (google) what is wrong with your partition table (if this is
the problem).

Regards

Alain Spineux
aspineux gmail com