[CentOS] Re: Backups on external USB HDD

Ugo Bellavance ugob at lubik.ca
Tue Nov 20 12:16:43 UTC 2007

David Ferreira wrote:
> I've used simple  scripts for similar backup system. I used hotplug
> facilities and rsync to avoid copying inecesary data.
> You must see the USB id which lsusb
>
> in /etc/hotplug/usb/ create the folowing two files:
> usbhd.usermap containing the folowing line:
> usbbackup 0x0003 0x05e3 0x0702 0x0000 0x0000 0x00 0x00 0x00 0x00 0x00
> 0x00 0x00000000

I don't need the script, I just need the windows box to be able to write
  to the external HDD, and that the external HDD can be changed (not
when writing, of course) without any manual intervention.

This is the output of lsusb

[root at server]lsusb
Unknown line at line 5959
Unknown line at line 5960
Unknown line at line 5961
Unknown line at line 5962
Unknown line at line 5963
Unknown line at line 5964
Unknown line at line 5965
Unknown line at line 5966
Unknown line at line 5967
Unknown line at line 5968
Unknown line at line 5969
Unknown line at line 5970
Bus 004 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
Bus 003 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 0000:0000
Bus 001 Device 009: ID 04fc:0c25 Sunplus Technology Co., Ltd
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 0000:0000

The device is most likely 001/009 (Sunplus).

lsusb -v shows this (stripped output):

Bus 001 Device 009: ID 04fc:0c25 Sunplus Technology Co., Ltd
Device Descriptor:
   bLength                18
   bDescriptorType         1
   bcdUSB               2.00
   bDeviceSubClass         0
   bDeviceProtocol         0
   bMaxPacketSize0        64
   idVendor           0x04fc Sunplus Technology Co., Ltd
   idProduct          0x0c25
   bcdDevice            1.03
   iManufacturer           2 Sunplus Technology Inc.
   iProduct                3 USB to Serial-ATA bridge
   iSerial                 1 WDC WD2500     WD-WXE807734118
   bNumConfigurations      1

How would I build my usbhd.usermap file?

Regards,
Ugo