[CentOS] Partioning Error: Dual Boot, WinXP & CentOS5, 27 GB Free space; my error is?

Lanny Marcus

lannyma at gmail.com
Sun Nov 25 16:51:31 UTC 2007

Hello: Starting Friday afternoon, I blew away the installations on the
three (3) boxes we use as Desktops. On two (2) of them (my Dell
Dimension 2400 and my wife's Compaq Evo D300v), I have MS Windows XP
and CentOS5 running.   :-)  On my daughters box (Dell Dimension 4300)
I am having problems with the partitioning. Probably this is due to
some mistake I have made, with regard to "Active" or "Primary"
partitions? The HD has four (4) NTFS partitions on dev/hda. hda1 >
hda4. According to the partition table shown in the CentOS5
installation, there is 27925 MB of Free Space on the HD. If I try to
create a /boot partition (100 MB) or an LVM, I get: "Error
partitioning - Could not allocate requested partitions. Partitioning
failed. Could not allocate partitions as primary partitions. Not
enough space left to create partition for /boot    More or less the
same error: "Automatic partitioning errors - You have not defined a
root (/) partition. This can happen if not enough space."  What am I
doing wrong on that box? TIA!
-
Lanny