[CentOS] CentOS /boot kernel files removed after rpm upgrades

Bart Schaefer barton.schaefer at gmail.com
Mon Nov 26 03:38:52 UTC 2007

On Nov 25, 2007 3:16 PM, Dave <dmehler26 at woh.rr.com> wrote:
>     I ran a yum update on a centos 5 machine. [...]  I checked /boot and it is now empty.

Start by checking /var/cache/yum to see if the RPMs for your most
recently installed kernel are still there.  If they are, use "rpm -ivh
--oldpackage ..." to re-install, and that should re-populate /boot.

If they're not in the cache, you'll need to manually download them
from mirrors.centos.org and then proceed with rpm -i.

I also suggest that you "yum install yum-utils" and use
package-cleanup to manage your old kernel files from now on.