[CentOS] Filesystem for Maildir

Joshua Gimer jgimer at gmail.com
Mon Nov 26 20:11:37 UTC 2007


We use ext3 for maildir. I have not had any issues to date. This is  
also on fibre SAN drives, not ATA.

On Nov 26, 2007, at 12:22 PM, Heitor Augusto M Cardozo wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> In last year, i had made some research and benchmarks based on  
> CentOS 4 to know which filesystem is better for Maildir:  ReiserFS,  
> XFS or EXT3.
>
> My conclusion was as follows:
>
> - EXT3: reliable but very slow to read many small files.
> - ReiserFS: best performance but unreliable and bad recovery tools.
> - XFS: My choice, good performance and reliability.
>
> On CentOS 5.0, a had the same benchmarks and now, EXT3 and XFS seems  
> to had better or equivalent performance on Read and Create Random  
> files. One of this tests, using bonnie++, show this:
>
> # bonnie++ -d /mnt/sdc1/testfile -s 8192 -m `hostname` -n  
> 50:150000:5000:1000
>
> XFS:
> Version  1.03       ------Sequential Output------ --Sequential  
> Input- --Random-
>                     -Per Chr- --Block-- -Rewrite- -Per Chr- -- 
> Block-- --Seeks--
> Machine        Size K/sec %CP K/sec %CP K/sec %CP K/sec %CP K/sec  
> %CP  /sec %CP
> localhost         8G 74048  99 201584  32 74014  12 61610  92  
> 228977  18 623.5   0
>                     ------Sequential Create------ --------Random  
> Create--------
>                     -Create-- --Read--- -Delete-- -Create-- -- 
> Read--- -Delete--
> files:max:min        /sec %CP  /sec %CP  /sec %CP  /sec %CP  /sec  
> %CP  /sec %CP
> 50:158999:5125/1000   692  12    82   0  3502  28   529   7   107    
> 0  1149  11
> localhost,8G, 
> 74048,99,201584,32,74014,12,61610,92,228977,18,623.5,0,50 
> :158999:5125/1000,692,12,82,0,3502,28,529,7,107,0,1149,11
>
> EXT3:
> Version  1.03       ------Sequential Output------ --Sequential  
> Input- --Random-
>                     -Per Chr- --Block-- -Rewrite- -Per Chr- -- 
> Block-- --Seeks--
> Machine        Size K/sec %CP K/sec %CP K/sec %CP K/sec %CP K/sec  
> %CP  /sec %CP
> localhost         8G 54569  99 249788  68 75268  11 59128  91  
> 211926  15 587.2   0
>                     ------Sequential Create------ --------Random  
> Create--------
>                     -Create-- --Read--- -Delete-- -Create-- -- 
> Read--- -Delete--
> files:max:min        /sec %CP  /sec %CP  /sec %CP  /sec %CP  /sec  
> %CP  /sec %CP
> 50:158999:5125/1000   748  15   256   1  1081   5   713  15   108    
> 0   207   1
> localhost,8G, 
> 54569,99,249788,68,75268,11,59128,91,211926,15,587.2,0,50 
> :158999:5125/1000,748,15,256,1,1081,5,713,15,108,0,207,1
>
>
> What i want to know is: Anyone use or recommend EXT3 for Maildir?
>
> My configuration: 3Ware 9650SE-8LPML, 8 drives SATA2  ST3500630AS  
> 500GB on RAID 10.
>
> Regards,
>
> Heitor A.M. Cardozo
> _______________________________________________
> CentOS mailing list
> CentOS at centos.org
> http://lists.centos.org/mailman/listinfo/centos

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: http://lists.centos.org/pipermail/centos/attachments/20071126/3b4dcca5/attachment.htm


More information about the CentOS mailing list