[CentOS] Centos 5.1 distro: How to upgrade 5.0 to 5.1 with yum??

William L. Maltby CentOS4Bill at triad.rr.com
Wed Nov 28 22:25:46 UTC 2007

On Wed, 2007-11-28 at 22:36 +0100, Jancio Wodnik wrote:
> Robinson Tiemuqinke pisze:
> ><snip>

> It's simply. All things from 5.0 to 5.1 will be done automatically via
> yum (as standard update) or in rare situation can be possibly depedency
> problem (when mixing different repo ?).
>
> So don't worry. if you are really affraid - update only one box and test
> ... test ... then update the rest.
>
> I must say. In Centos 4 world all updates from 1 to 2 to 3 ... to 5 were
> go in smooth way.

Umm... almost. IIRC, there were a couple issues (although not difficult
to solve) when a yum update was involved. And something else too, but I
don't recall for sure. Seamonkey?

Anyway, other than a couple minor things like that, plain old yum update
seems to be reliable and you have very little to watch for.

To the OP: with 500+ machines(?), would you benefit from having a local
repo that you could manage to be sure that all your nodes "sing from the
same sheet of music"? The lists have advice on this if you need it.

Search the lists and you'll find the info.

--
Bill