[CentOS] Centos 5.1 distro: How to upgrade 5.0 to 5.1 with yum??

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Wed Nov 28 22:45:30 UTC 2007

William L. Maltby wrote:

> To the OP: with 500+ machines(?), would you benefit from having a local
> repo that you could manage to be sure that all your nodes "sing from the
> same sheet of music"? The lists have advice on this if you need it.

With Centos 3.x you could easily pull things through a caching proxy by
setting http_proxy in the environment from the command like:
http_proxy=myproxy.mydomain.com yum update.
and any number of machines at a location would only have to download a
needed file once (assuming your proxy is configured to cache large
files).  However, newer releases use a mirrorlist approach that makes
each machine pick a different url, defeating the caching.  I thought I
saw something about 5.x having a way to restore the old way without
being tied to a single repository, but I've forgotten it now.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com