[CentOS] Re: Stuck at GRUB

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Thu Nov 29 15:53:38 UTC 2007

Christopher Chan wrote:

>> Is there a way to know where grub is installed?  I have a few servers
>> running in RAID 1 software for /boot, I gotta fix this.  If I can't
>> tell whether it is installed or not, is it dangerous to re-install it
>> using the command above?

It won't hurt to re-install.  The tricky part is knowing where the 2nd
drive in the set will appear when the first fails so you can do the
configuration correctly.

> So long as you have all the necessary grub files, there is not much
> danger. Even if you are missing a config file on this side of the mirror
> (impossible...) so long as you load grub stage 2, you will have the
> power you need to continue if you have access (eg: via serial)

Worst case: boot the install cd with 'linux rescue' at the boot prompt,
let it detect and mount the system partitions, do the chroot it
suggests, then 'grub-install /dev/sda' (or wherever the boot drive
appears now), exit twice, and remove the CD as you reboot.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com