[CentOS] Centos 5.1 distro: How to upgrade 5.0 to 5.1 with yum??

fred smith fredex at fcshome.stoneham.ma.us
Fri Nov 30 03:02:39 UTC 2007

On Fri, Nov 30, 2007 at 01:02:59AM +0000, Karanbir Singh wrote:
> Robinson Tiemuqinke wrote:
> > Continue to install machines with Centos 5.0(!!)
> >distro (not 5.1, 5.2, etc snapshots|subreleases), But
> >have .../centos/5/updates/{SRPMS|i386|x86_64}/
> >repositories|directories which contains updates since
> >5.0 to current level. This way I only need to feed yum
> >with two repositories: centos/5.0/os/ and
> >centos/5/updates/ -- some time will have local custom
> >repos as well, but that is another totally different
> >topic.
>
> in that case you will need to find the updates in the 5.1/os/ repo as
> well and put it yourself into the updates/ directory, which will be a
> waste of time, network bandwidth and resources. You are going to be much
> better off just installing 5.1 from the future and using that.
>
> For the machines you have 5.0 on, just run yum against the 5.1/os/ and
> 5.1/updates/ repo, and they will also move to 5.1. Note, the [os] repo
> also needs to be from 5.1 and not from 5.0 when you run the yum update
> on the 5.0 installed machines. other wise you *will* loose updates.

I'm coming in here kind of in the middle, but I find this discussion to
be confusing... In the past I've always found that my centos/RHEL machines
automagically updated themselves to the latest dot-release without me
having to do anything other than run yum/up2date.

Are you saying here that a Centos 5 system WILL NOT automatically
become 5.1 when the updates are pushed out? Or am I just totally
confuzzled?

 .----    Fred Smith   /
 /    /  /   /__) /  /  /__) .+'           Home: fredex at fcshome.stoneham.ma.us