[CentOS] Centos5-live kernel panic?

Alain Spineux aspineux at gmail.com
Mon Oct 1 11:16:00 UTC 2007

On 10/1/07, Ted Miller <tedjeanmiller at sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> I am fairly sure that I had gotten this to work before, and I know that the
> Centos4-live disk worked OK, but now (maybe since I upgraded BIOS)

They are chances  you guessed the origin of the problem :-)

You can try if other live-cd like fedora 7 works and meet your need or
try downgrade your bios.

Did you add or switched any drive in your PC ?

Also you could try to put a drive in IDE0 Master.
I saw so much strange things !

> I get
> this sequence after booting the live cd:
>
> Creating /var in RAM ... Done
> Found Centos-live.sqfs but couldn't mount it:
> Linking /usr to /centos-live/usr
> /linuxrc: 1208: [: not found
>
> Freeing unused kernel memory: 296K freed
> Write protecting the kernel read-only data: 684K
> Kernel panic - not syncing: No init found
> Try passing init= option to kernel
>
> So far I:
> 1. checked md5 of downloaded .iso
> 2. burned another copy of CD w/ verify after burn using KD3
> 3. tried CD in a VMWare machine, and it boots up fine
> 4. tried failsafe boot option
>
> I am guessing that the problem goes back to the "Found centos-live.spfs but
> couldn't mount it" line, as this mounts OK on the VMWare machine.
>
> In case the hardware layout is confusing it, and I really do need to pass
> an init argument to it, my layout is:
>
> IDE 0 Master: None
>        Slave:  CD drive
> IDE 1 Master: CD drive
>        Slave:  hdd (windows 2000 boot)
> IDE 2 (SATA): sda
> IDE 3 (SATA): sdb
> IDE 4 (SATA): sdc
>
> MB is Gigabyte K8N Ultra 9
> nVidia NForce 4 chipset
> F9c BIOS version
> AMD64 processor
> 1gb RAM
>
> Glad to supply other info if you tell me what you need and where to find it.
>
> Ted Miller
> Indiana

Alain Spineux
aspineux gmail com