[CentOS] Auditing software for a CentOS server

James A. Peltier jpeltier at cs.sfu.ca
Thu Oct 4 16:07:40 UTC 2007

israel.garcia at cimex.com.cu wrote:
> Hi, I'm running some databases's software on a CentOS 4.5 server and I'd like to know if there are any audit software in CentOS4.5 CDs packages?.....I need some software to audit all the files on the server, I mean, if some  one delete a file, or change some permissions on any filesystems, if someone copy files to my server and some of this stuff... take in mind I'm not lookign for an IDS.. I just want to audit my server...
>
> thanks in advance
>
> Israel

Tripwire is one chkrootkit is another.  Here is a sample output from TW.

/etc/cron.daily/tripwire:
### Warning: File system error.
### Filename: /usr/src/linux
### No such file or directory
### Continuing...
### Warning: File system error.
### Filename: /etc/inittab
### No such file or directory
### Continuing...
Tripwire(R) 2.3.0 Integrity Check Report

Report generated by:          root
Report created on:            Thu 04 Oct 2007 06:49:44 AM PDT
Database last updated on:     Wed 03 Oct 2007 09:56:14 PM PDT

Report Summary:

Host name:                    latis
Host IP address:              142.58.207.218
Host ID:                      None
Policy file used:             /etc/tripwire/tw.pol
Configuration file used:      /etc/tripwire/tw.cfg
Database file used:           /var/lib/tripwire/latis.twd
Command line used:            /usr/sbin/tripwire --check --quiet
--email-report

Rule Summary:

   Section: Unix File System

   Rule Name                       Severity Level    Added    Removed
Modified
   ---------                       --------------    -----    -------
--------
   Invariant Directories           66                0        0        0

   Tripwire Data Files             100               0        0        0

   Other binaries                  66                0        0        0

   Tripwire Binaries               100               0        0        0

   setuid/setgid                   100               0        0        0

   Other libraries                 66                0        0        0

   Header Files                    66                0        0        0

   Shared Files                    66                0        0        0

   Root file-system executables    100               0        0        0

* System boot changes             100               1        0        8

   Security Control                66                0        0        0

   Root file-system libraries      100               0        0        0

   (/lib)
   Critical system boot files      100               0        0        0

   Boot Scripts                    100               0        0        0

   Critical Configuration files    100               0        0        0

   Devices & Kernel information    100               0        0        0

* Root config files               100               0        0        1

Total objects scanned:  28932
Total violations found:  10

Object Summary:

# Section: Unix File System

Rule Name: System boot changes (/var/run)
Severity Level: 100

Added:
"/var/run/console/root:1"

Rule Name: System boot changes (/var/log)
Severity Level: 100

Modified:
"/var/log/syslog"
"/var/log/syslog.0"
"/var/log/syslog.1.gz"
"/var/log/syslog.2.gz"
"/var/log/syslog.3.gz"
"/var/log/syslog.4.gz"
"/var/log/syslog.5.gz"
"/var/log/syslog.6.gz"

Rule Name: Root config files (/root)
Severity Level: 100

Modified:
"/root"

Error Report:

   Section: Unix File System

1.   File system error.
      Filename: /usr/src/linux
      No such file or directory
2.   File system error.
      Filename: /etc/inittab
      No such file or directory

*** End of report ***

Tripwire 2.3 Portions copyright 2000 Tripwire, Inc. Tripwire is a registered
trademark of Tripwire, Inc. This software comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY;
for details use --version. This is free software which may be redistributed
or modified only under certain conditions; see COPYING for details.
All rights reserved.
run-parts: /etc/cron.daily/tripwire exited with return code 5

--
James A. Peltier
Technical Director, RHCE
E-Mail  : jpeltier at cs.sfu.ca