[CentOS] Re: Asterisk

Les Bell lesbell at lesbell.com.au
Sat Oct 6 01:20:15 UTC 2007

William Warren <hescominsoon at emmanuelcomputerconsulting.com> wrote:

have you tried trixbox which is an asterisk version based off of Centos?
<<

Seconded. I have an 8-extension, 2-POTS-line + VoIP Asterisk setup here
which started life as an Asterisk at Home (precursor to trixbox) install the
best part of 2 years ago. It's based on Centos 4.5, and I enabled various
repos to keep the base distro up-to-date but have maintained the asterisk,
asterisk-addons, zaptel, etc. packages manually ever since, no problem.

>From my experience, building Asterisk is only where the fun starts - you
then have to configure your phones and write a callplan. I did that for a
basic installation, but trixbox will give you a nice web-based management
interface with MySQL CDR integration, flash console and a bunch of other
stuff (automated attendant, voicemail, wakeup calls, etc) working pretty
much out of the box. I've tweaked the callplan and added some
functionality, but my basic goal was to get a phone system up and running
to support two professional consultancies without it becoming a full-time
job in its own right.

Best,

--- Les Bell, RHCE, CISSP
[http://www.lesbell.com.au]