[CentOS] Directory index forbidden by rule: /var/www/html/

Rogelio Bastardo

scubacuda at gmail.com
Tue Oct 9 15:34:21 UTC 2007

I'm looking to troubleshoot this error when I run "tail
/etc/httpd/logs/error_log"

[Tue Oct 09 07:22:59 2007] [error] [client 127.0.0.1] Directory index
forbidden by rule: /var/www/html/

(I get this when I run Nagios' "./check_http -H 127.0.0.1".)

All I did was install CentOS and then modify httpd.conf to include
"ServerName     192.168.1.10:80" and also run " htpasswd -c
/etc/nagios/htpasswd.users nagiosadmin".

Is this a permissions issue on my /var/www/html/ folder?

I tried to get the Apache page to serve properly, and it's not doing that.
And when I try from another computer, I don't see anything in the logs,
which made me think it was an IPTABLES issue (which it doesn't appear to
be).

Chain RH-Firewall-1-INPUT (2 references)
ACCEPT     all  --  anywhere             anywhere
ACCEPT     icmp --  anywhere             anywhere            icmp any
ACCEPT     ipv6-crypt--  anywhere             anywhere
ACCEPT     ipv6-auth--  anywhere             anywhere
ACCEPT     udp  --  anywhere             224.0.0.251         udp dpt:5353
ACCEPT     udp  --  anywhere             anywhere            udp dpt:ipp
ACCEPT     all  --  anywhere             anywhere            state
RELATED,ESTAB                 LISHED
ACCEPT     tcp  --  anywhere             anywhere            state NEW tcp
dpt:s                 sh
ACCEPT     tcp  --  anywhere             anywhere            state NEW tcp
dpt:h                 ttp
ACCEPT     tcp  --  anywhere             anywhere            state NEW tcp
dpt:f                 tp
ACCEPT     tcp  --  anywhere             anywhere            state NEW tcp
dpt:s                 mtp
REJECT     all  --  anywhere             anywhere            reject-with
icmp-ho                 st-prohibited