[CentOS] Directory index forbidden by rule: /var/www/html/

Jim Perrin jperrin at gmail.com
Tue Oct 9 16:00:28 UTC 2007

On 10/9/07, Rogelio Bastardo <scubacuda at gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm looking to troubleshoot this error when I run "tail
> /etc/httpd/logs/error_log"
>
> [Tue Oct 09 07:22:59 2007] [error] [client 127.0.0.1] Directory index
> forbidden by rule: /var/www/html/
>
> (I get this when I run Nagios' "./check_http -H 127.0.0.1".)
>
> All I did was install CentOS and then modify httpd.conf to include
> "ServerName     192.168.1.10:80" and also run " htpasswd -c
> /etc/nagios/htpasswd.users nagiosadmin".
>
> Is this a permissions issue on my /var/www/html/ folder?

No, this is caused by the Indexes setting in your Options statement in
your httpd.conf file, or other included file for this directory
(welcome.conf). Consult your config and the apache documentation for
details. If you're serving up the standard welcome to centos page,
this is actually an error page because you have no other page to
default to. create a blank index.html page or put something there and
you won't get this.

George Orwell