[CentOS] ssh X11 forwarding not working

Barry Schiffman schiffo2000 at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 10 03:30:40 UTC 2007

--- Feizhou <feizhou at graffiti.net> wrote:

> James A. Peltier wrote:
> > I'm having problems with ssh.com and X11
> forwarding
> >
> > ssh: SSH Secure Shell 3.2.0 (non-commercial
> version) on i686-pc-linux-gnu
> >
> > I am in the process of testing some of my machines
> with CentOS 5
> > x86/x86_64 and have run into a bit of a snag.  X11
> Forwarding is not
> > working.
> >
> > Any hints?  I've checked the ssh config files and
> they seem to be
> > identical to the config files on our existing SuSE
> 10.0 machines which
> > are working.  This is troubling indeed.
> >

> ssh -v and see what the ssh client complains about.

I just installed CentOS 5.0 on one machine here and
have a similar problem. I haven't changed the config
file from what was installed, and it looks pretty much
like the config in CentOS 4.5.

I've got openssh-4.3p2-16.el5 on the CentOS 5.0
machine, and have tried to get X11 forwarding working
on connections from three machines with different os's
-- centos 4.5, ubuntu and Mac OS.

ssh -v doesn't seem to say anything out of the
ordinary. After authentication, it says:

Entering interactive session.
Requesting X11 forwarding with authentication
spoofing.

Trying to open an emacs window without a -d argument,
I get a message about no address for localhost:6010.

Supplying the -d argument, I get
Xlib: connection to "xxx:0" refused by server
Xlib: No protocol specified.

Barry