[CentOS] apt-cacher for CentOS

Lorenzo lorenzo at gmk.it
Wed Oct 10 10:08:21 UTC 2007

Dag Wieers ha scritto:
> On Wed, 10 Oct 2007, Lorenzo wrote:
>
>> James A. Peltier ha scritto:
>>> Hi All,
>>>
>>> Is there something similar to apt-cacher available for CentOS?  I would like
>>> to ensure that an application is only downloaded once to the network and not
>>> hundreds of times.
>>>
>>> If there isn't an equivalent, would someone please point me in the direction
>>> of how I might accomplish this with CentOS?
>>>
>> I asked the same thing some time ago, but I wasn't able to came with a
>> solution.
>> I set up a local mirror of updates with mrepo: is a waste of bandwidth (I am
>> mirroring tons of apps I don't need, laguage packs and so on), but is the
>> "best" solution I found.
>> At this time I guess we should ask the people that develop yum: does anyone
>> know how to get in touch with them?
>
> Install squid, configure it so it only caches those files from a certain
> location or with a certain extension and then give it a large enough pool
> of diskspace so it can cache everything you require.
>
> Then use that as a proxy for all your apt/yum depsolvers.
>
> There is really not that much to it.

I had troubles with this setup with corrupted metadata (or similar, I don't
remember); also you have to disable the mirrors, otherwise squid would download
the same file for each mirror.
I agree that configuring local repos or squid could be of some help, but I
don't think that there is a real solution, but just a work-around.