[CentOS] Local mirroring of the CentOS repos

mark pryor tlviewer at yahoo.com
Wed Oct 10 20:30:46 UTC 2007

Kai Schaetzl <maillists at conactive.com> wrote: I figured I try if I can mirror the base and updates repos locally.
There's no tutorial for that, only one about creating your own repo of
packages which is not the same. So, I just mirrored all the stuff with
wget and changed the baseurl in the repo files and hoped that's enough.
Works. So easy you don't need a tutorial.

Kai,

I only have a comment about the base mirror. Instead of using the internet to make a base mirror (not sure you did it that way), you can use the CentOS-Media.repo

This works best if you have the DVD ISO
#mkdir /mnt/C564
#nano /etc/fstab
----------- add at end ----------------
/path-to/CentOS-5.0-x86_64-bin-DVD.iso /mnt/C564 iso9660 ro,loop,async 0 0
--------------- unsnip -------------

now edit
/etc/yum.repos.d/CentOS-Media.repo
and add to [c5-media]
file:///mnt/C564

then you want YUM to ignore the [base] repo and use [c5-media]
#yum search some-rpm --disablerepo=base --enablerepo=c5-media

now you have speed and still have all the default abilities of YUM

to find the RPM owner of [c5-media]:
[tlviewer at hercules ~]$ rpm -qf /etc/yum.repos.d/CentOS-Media.repo
centos-release-5-0.0.el5.centos.2

My repo for C5 (mpryor-c5.repo) at
http://www.tlviewer.org/centos
 --