[CentOS] ECC RAM Error

John R Pierce pierce at hogranch.com
Thu Oct 11 19:32:38 UTC 2007

Peter Arremann wrote:
> On Thursday 11 October 2007, Centos wrote:
>
>> The ECC errors only happens when I am transferring data from other
>> storage to this one that we get error.
>> it only happens when it is writing data to it.

What do you mean by "transferring data from other storage to this one"
?    These are main memory (RAM) ECC errors and have nothing to do with
disk storage, networking, or anything else.

and, 'writing data to it', its not clear what the 'it' is referring to.

> ECC errors can happen anywhere. It can be that the data is corrupted while it
> is transmitted to the storage device. Or the data can degrade while stored.
> And of course, on the transmission from the storage you have another chance
> to screw it up.

ECC errors in RAM will be detected when data is read back from RAM and
the associated ECC is incorrect.   the ECC codes are generated when the
RAM is written to.

So I dunno what you're talking about 'transmitted ot storage devices',
etc....    Disk drives have their OWN ECC, this is quite different and
seperate and has no relationship to the ECC in main memory.