[CentOS] question(s) about LVM snapshots

Tony Schreiner

schreian at bc.edu
Thu Oct 11 19:47:30 UTC 2007

I've recently begun to try out LVM snapshots and I have 2 things I'm
wondering about

My intention is to run backups off the snapshot. As a first
iteration, I left 15% of the disk for the snapshot LV.

1.
The HOWTO instructions suggest that the snapshot is in effect as long
as the snapshot LV exists, and use lvremove to disable the snapshot.
Is this the proper way?

2.
I chose 15% because the disk  is not that active and I think it will
be plenty for the duration of the backup I'm doing. Is there a way to
track how much space the snapshot is actually using?

Cheers,

Tony Schreiner
Biology Department
Boston College