[CentOS] Re: CentOS 5 LiveCD better than the real one?

Patrice Guay patrice.guay at nanotechnologies.qc.ca
Fri Oct 12 03:29:29 UTC 2007

Patrice Guay a écrit :
> Radu-Cristian FOTESCU wrote:
>> I am terribly puzzled by an issue reported as bug 2381
>> [http://bugs.centos.org/view.php?id=2381] — definitely an upstream
>> bug, as it does the same under X/OS 5 and StartCom 5.
>>
>> Simply put: Hibernation fails with horrendous I/O errors after swsusp
>> starts dumping to swap.
>>
>> What bugs me is that hibernating from the CentOS 5 LiveCD *works*!!!
>> (on the same hardware)
>>
>> How could I investigate to see what is the relevant difference
>> between the LiveCD and the installed system, WRT suspend-to-disk?
>>
>> It has been said that "CentOS 5 i386 Live CD is based on the ADIOS
>> Live CD Project", but also that "CentOS Project would like to thank
>> Patrice Guay for the creation of this CD". Who is supposed to know
>> better about this issue?
>>
>> [...]
>>
>> It's a shame that RHEL5 && clones fail to work properly with a
>> specific laptop (Acer Travelmate 5310/5320/5710/5720 have the same
>> architectural design), but an ad-hoc LiveCD works!
>>
> Hi Radu-Christian,
>
> I have a similar problem with the suspend/hibernate function under
> CentOS 5 on my personal laptop (Acer Travelmate 8204). My latest
> LiveCD respins, which are no longer based on the Adios Live CD
> project, have the same problem with suspend/hibernate.
>
> I will need to test the hibernation functionality under the CentOS 5
> LiveCD (version 5.00) later today to see how it behaves.

On my laptop, the CentOS 5 LiveCD (version 5.00) suspend/hibernate
function is not working either. The main difference between this LiveCD
and the original distribution lies in these system files:
  - /etc/init.d/halt
  - /etc/init.d/kudzu
  - /etc/init.d/netfs
  - /etc/issue
  - /etc/sysconfig/network
  - /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit
  - /initrd/linuxrc
  - /initrd/initrd/harddriveinstall
  - /initrd/initrd/info
  - /initrd/initrd/savestate

Maybe you could start your investigation there ...

Regards,
--
Patrice Guay