[CentOS] xen in production servers

Tomasz 'Zen' Napierala zen at allegro.pl
Fri Oct 12 08:23:17 UTC 2007

Thursday 11 October 2007 17:28:04 Roberto Pereyra napisał(a):
> Hello
>
> A simple question
>
> Is virtualization (Xen) in CentOS stable for big developments ?
>
> Somebody is using it for important servers ?

I'm using it on some important servers (isolation and easy of
backup/recovery), but I'm not 100% happy with that. As mentioned before,
there are still some unresolved bugs. Recently I did standard virt-install
deployment using files as a storage, and performance is terrible (even for
not very busy servers). If you need to use it, I would recommend not to use
virt-install, and use separate lvolumes as storage backend.
I also have impression that networking performance is degraded in comparison
to vanilla Xen deployments.

> Would have to wait for an update?

With my recent experiences I would wait for update or use vanilla Xen.

Regards,
--
Tomasz Napierala
System Administrator