[CentOS] accurate file size

Stephen Harris lists at spuddy.org
Sun Oct 14 19:13:59 UTC 2007

On Sun, Oct 14, 2007 at 04:30:16PM -0400, centos at unixplanet.biz wrote:
> Hello
>
> I was copying some files from one server to other,
> that I relized the total file size ( sum of all files )
> in one server is a bit more than the one that copied from
> ( about 6 when I do du -s )

"du" takes into account block sizes and so on, so may not be the same on
two different machines.  "ls -l" shows the exact size per file.

> is there any more accurate way to make sure of integrity of the file.
> ( other than pgp or signature )

md5sum will generate an MD5 checksum on each file.  It's typically what is
used by larger FTP sites to ensure you've downloaded a non-corrupt file.
It's _possible_ for two seperate files to have the same checksum but the
chances of this happening by accident are 1 in 2^128 - very unlikely :-)

--

rgds
Stephen