[CentOS] umount'ing a /media/disk... as a user

Lukasz seem at gazeta.pl
Mon Oct 15 15:33:20 UTC 2007

Charles E Campbell Jr pisze:
> Currently, whenever I attempt to umount /media/disk (or -1, etc), I
> either have to be user or have to have given the account sudo
> privileges.  Since these "disks" are usually just flash-memory sticks,
> I'd really rather have the permission to umount them be given to users.
> The /etc/mtab shows the /media filesystems, /etc/fstab does not.

You may add those devices to fstab, much like partitions:

/dev/sda1 /mnt/pendrive vfat noauto,users,rw,umask=0000 0 0
/dev/sda2 /mnt/pendrive2 vfat noauto,users,rw,umask=0000 0 0

the key is that "users" param, to allow normal users mount and umount
filesystem; I very often use static mount points and edit fstab instead
of using HAL for this, but HAL itself respects fstab configuration too

all parameters are listed in mount docs, but since those are removable
media, security isn't very important