[CentOS] Re: Trying to recover data off SATA-to-SCSI external 2TB ARRAY

Scott Silva ssilva at sgvwater.com
Mon Oct 15 17:43:41 UTC 2007

on 10/15/2007 9:41 AM Dan Carl spake the following:
> Original the array was attach to an HP server via a Smart Array
> Controller.(which I didn't setup, I just inherited the problem)
> This controller no longer recognizes the array even though the front panel
> of the array indicates its intact.
> I then took the array and plugged it into my Centos server and it recognized
> it ...
> cat /proc/scsi/scsi
> Attached devices:
> Host: scsi0 Channel: 00 Id: 00 Lun: 00
> Vendor: XD-T112- Model: 212R Rev: R0.0
> Type: Direct-Access
>
> But with errors
>  In dmesg have this:
> sda: Mode Sense: bf 00 00 08
> SCSI device sda: drive cache: write back
> sda: unknown partition table
> sd 0:0:0:0: Attached scsi disk sda
>
> I have no experience with the Smart Array Controller, just what I read the
> past couple of days.
> Here's how it was mounted on the HP server
> /dev/cciss/c0d1 /stor02 ext3 defaults 1 1
> Is there a way I can get the data off the array with my Centos server?
> Any help/suggestions/tips would be greatly appreciated, I've hit a brick
> wall.
The partition table could be hosed. You might want to consider sending the
unit out for recovery if it is critical data and you have no backups.
You might be able to scan it with testdisk and see if it finds anything.

Or try the tools from the array manufacturer if they have any.

--
MailScanner is like deodorant...
You hope everybody uses it, and