[CentOS] Trying to recover data off SATA-to-SCSI external 2TBARRAY

Dan Carl danc at bluestarshows.com
Mon Oct 15 19:42:47 UTC 2007

On Monday 15 October 2007, John R Pierce wrote:
> Peter Kjellstrom wrote:
> > On Monday 15 October 2007, Dan Carl wrote:
> >> But with errors
> >>  In dmesg have this:
> >> sda: Mode Sense: bf 00 00 08
> >> SCSI device sda: drive cache: write back
> >> sda: unknown partition table
> >> sd 0:0:0:0: Attached scsi disk sda
> >
> > Try "mount -oro /dev/sda /mnt/tmp" (or whatever) or just see if there's
> > superblock there with "tune2fs -l /dev/sda".
>
> he has a hardware raid set of drives originally from a HP/Compaq
> SmartArray controller, now connected to a simple non-raid scsi
> controller.   sorry, thats not gonna play no way no how.

>Since he only mentioned one device on his centos, there are centainly
>plausible ways this could work. The original cciss array could have been a
>single drive, could have been a raid1, could have been a misunderstood
hwraid
>just tunneled through the host adapter as a single driver, etc.
.
The SmartArray doesn't recognize the external array.
So thats why I connected it to a SCSI non-raid controller which does.
lvndiskscan on my Centos server even can tell the size of it.
/dev/sda                 [        2.00 TB]
The external array has it's own built in raid controller.
The Bios the SmartArray said it was a raid 0 2048GB failed.
I not sure why the SmartArray sees it as that because the external array is
configured as a raid 5 with spares.
Im not familar with the SmartArray and don't have another to try.

Is there no way to access the data other than via the SmartArray?

/Peter