[CentOS] Trying to recover data off SATA-to-SCSI external 2TBARRAY

Dan Carl danc at bluestarshows.com
Mon Oct 15 20:18:19 UTC 2007

On Monday 15 October 2007, Dan Carl wrote:
>> The SmartArray doesn't recognize the external array.
>> So thats why I connected it to a SCSI non-raid controller which does.
>> lvndiskscan on my Centos server even can tell the size of it.
>> /dev/sda                 [        2.00 TB]
>> The external array has it's own built in raid controller.
>> The Bios the SmartArray said it was a raid 0 2048GB failed.
>> I not sure why the SmartArray sees it as that because the external array
is
>> configured as a raid 5 with spares.
>> Im not familar with the SmartArray and don't have another to try.
>>
>> Is there no way to access the data other than via the SmartArray?

>so give "tune2fs -l /dev/sda" a try. Maybe you'll find a nice ext3 fs,
maybe
>no. It's a non-destructive operation so go ahead.

That yielded :'(
tune2fs 1.39 (29-May-2006)
tune2fs: Bad magic number in super-block while trying to open /dev/sda
Couldn't find valid filesystem superblock.

And know they didn't backup their data, under the advice of their developer.
Advice to everyone if you care about your data BACK IT UP!!! even a raid 5
with hot spares can fail.
I feel bad for them. Thier developer screwed them and then left them.

If any has any other advice please share.

/Peter