[CentOS] Trying to recover data off SATA-to-SCSI external 2TBARRAY

Antonio da Silva Martins Junior asmartins at uem.br
Mon Oct 15 21:30:39 UTC 2007

----- "Dan Carl" <danc at bluestarshows.com> escreveu:

> The array that I'm tyring to recover is a SCSI-toSATA 2U external
> Raid device.
> It connects to any u320 controller and is suppose to show up to Linux
> as 1 SCSI drive.
> Quote from the manual:
> "These host interfaces are host O/S independent and will operate on
> any system that has a working SCSI or Fiber interface
> The DAS is made up of several components including a RAID controller,
> backplane board with intelligent environmental monitoring, chassis,
> power supplies, fans, front control panel with LCD display and hard drive=
 bays."
>=20
> The Smart Array card that it was originally connected to doesn't
> recongize it.
> The SmartArray is in a working server and is currently running an
> internal Raid 5.
>=20
> My guess is there was some hardware failure on the external side of
> the controller or the external array.
> My reasoning for this, is if I connect the A Channel of the external
> array to my Centos server my SCSI card doesn't recognize it.=20
> But if I connect it to the B channel side it does

Well,

  from this I'm thinking you didn't need another SmartArray, but it looks
like the A channel from your DAS is the problem... Try look on the DAS manu=
al
for the configuration options (how the RAID drive are made) and try to sear=
ch
a way to migrate the RAID from channel A to B. Look for a way to acquire as=
 much
info on the DAS configuration you can before trying it. I already had chang=
ed=20
RAID disks from one controler to another (SmartArrays by the way), and the =
RAID=20
disks are found without problem. But, if it didn't work and the DAS "rebuil=
d" it's
RAID the data on the disks are gone :(

  another way is trying to contact the DAS maker and their tech assistant.

    Antonio.
=20
=20
--=20
| Antonio S. Martins Jr. - Support Analist | "Only The Shadow Knows     |
| Universidade Estadual de Maring=C3=A1 - Brasil|   what evil lurks in the =
  |
| NPD - N=C3=BAcleo de Processamento de Dados   |       Heart of Men!"     =

| E-Mail: asmartins at uem.br / shadow at uem.br | !!! Linux User: 52392 !!!  |

--=20
Esta mensagem foi verificada pelo sistema de antiv=EDrus e
 acredita-se estar livre de perigo.