[CentOS] CentOS 5 - Xen and Vmware Server

Jeff Larsen jlar310 at gmail.com
Tue Oct 16 14:19:27 UTC 2007

On 10/16/07, Johnny Hughes <johnny at centos.org> wrote:
> Bruno Sousa wrote:
> > Well,
> >
> > I have installed CentOS with XEN support, but the vmware doesn't work at all.
> > When i push the start button in the vmware, after some minutes, it gives me na error, telling that vmware process died.
> > The host is a dual quad-core 2.6GHZ with 8GB ram, and i would like to get into XEN, but i need to have vmware as well.
> >

> There is not any way (that I know of) to run VMWare and a Xen host on
> the same machine.  To run a Xen host, you need the Xen kernel, and
> VMWare does not run on that kenrel.
>
> I can verify that it does not work.
>
> You will probably need another machine.

This is way out there, but I've read in the VMTN forums that it is
possible to run the xen dom0 in a VMware virtual machine. Never tried
it myself, so I won't make any promises. Performance in xen domU would
stink, but I can't imagine  you would be doing this for any other
reason than development and testing...

Jeff