[CentOS] Using XEN VMs with non-US keyboards?

Kai Schaetzl maillists at conactive.com
Tue Oct 16 16:26:43 UTC 2007

Felix Schwarz wrote on Sat, 13 Oct 2007 23:22:22 +0200:

> I'm seeing the same problems on Fedora 6+7. I don't think there is a real
> solution (btw: using a German keyboard layout, shift+6 gives me "/" in the
> graphical vnc console).

Thanks for confirmation. Yeah, I can get "/" this way, but I can't get "-" and
"*" which means I can't add any options to command lines or do wildcards. It's
pretty useless this way. You can't even handle filenames with a "-" in them. I
work around this by using single "?" in filenames as I can create at least
this.
On the other hand if I switch to US keyboard layout I can get at * and - and
?, but not at /. Grrrrr.

I use SSH for virtual console management as much as
> possible.

Yes, this seems the only workable solution. Unfortunately, you are also
restricted to the "-"-less strings when you install it :-(

Kai

--
Kai Schätzl, Berlin, Germany