[CentOS] Hosed my software RAID/LVM setup somehow

Kai Schaetzl maillists at conactive.com
Wed Oct 17 16:06:52 UTC 2007

Luciano Rocha wrote on Wed, 17 Oct 2007 16:08:31 +0100:

> mount uses /etc/mtab for displaying current mounts, which is invalid
> when starting the boot. Check /proc/mounts for the correct values.
>
> You can switch to rw with:
> mount / -o remount,rw
>
> And then you'll be able to change fstab.

Yeah, this worked, thanks. I'll write that down :-)
It would be nice if the system would ignore the problems with md2 and md3 and
boot nevertheless as in this case it would have been harmless.

> the b option to init/boot boots in emergency mode.

If needed, where would I do that? Can I do an init -b 3 in the repair shell or
where would I do this?

> Seems to be OK. What is happening is that you're telling the system to
> check the filesystems that where in the MDs in fstab. As there's none
> (it's lvm now), the boot process complains and drops you to a shell.

Indeed. I thought that using LVM manager would make the necessary changes
(whatever they were) for me. I always avoided LVM as much as I could until
recently and when I used it I did that already during installation. This was
the first time I changed this stuff on a running system. I learned something
today :-) I added the /dev/mapper entries as mounts to fstab now and remounted
all and everything is well. Thanks for the quick help!

I have a small question, though: one of the LVM partitions is used for a
(non-active) Xen VM and I cannot mount that as ext3. I know I have to unmount
before I can run the VM on it. I want to have a look in it. Is there a way to
mount it? xdva isn't recognized as a filesystem.

Kai

--
Kai Schätzl, Berlin, Germany