[CentOS] NIS problems

Scott Ehrlich scott at MIT.EDU
Thu Oct 18 02:50:35 UTC 2007

On Wed, 17 Oct 2007, sam wrote:

> so...
>
> if i'm understanding:
>
> -you have a 32bit NIS server that you've

Correction here - server is 64-bit RHEL 5 Server.   All machines are full,
out-of-box, unpatched systems, with no Internet connection.

Working clients are 32-bit.   Problem machine is 64-bit CentOS 5 client.

>  configured for your network.
> -you are not running dns, but are instead using /etc/hosts,
>  and /etc/resolv.conf on your boxes
> -you have a couple of 32bit clients that can attach to the
>  NIS server, and that you can log against. you can run
>  'ypcat passwd' on these machines with no issues..
>
> -attaching a 64bit machine as a NIS Client which you've
>  configured as best you can, is giving you errors...
>
> I just had a conversation with a Sr. Redhat Tech support eng, where he was
> telling me that there might be an issue with my situation that might be
> related to the fact that the server is 64 bit, and the slave is 32bit...
>
> might not be related.... but hmm...
>
> can you post your ypserv.conf, as well as your yp.conf files

I'll have to check on my ypserv.comf file - I don't recall having edited
that.

yp.conf on the server is:
ypserver 127.0.0.1

yp.conf on the client is:
domain my-nis-domain server ip-of-server

Scott