[CentOS] Trying to create a custom initrd that will work with PXE Booting

Mogens Kjaer mk at crc.dk
Thu Oct 18 09:59:23 UTC 2007

Clint Dilks wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am trying to create a custom initrd that will work with PXE Booting on
> CentOS release 4.5 (Final) and Fedora Core 6.  Can anyone point me to
> some documentation that will help with this ?

I've done this for F7 (the NIC is detected by the default e1000, but
fails to run at gigabit speed).

The trick is:

Install the OS, don't do yum update.
Compile the e1000 module.
Unpack the initrd file
Replace the e1000 module
Repack the initrd file again
Use the new initrd file for PXE booting

This works for F7.

Mogens

Phone: +45 33 27 53 25, Fax: +45 33 27 47 08
Email: mk at crc.dk Homepage: http://www.crc.dk