[CentOS] DocX support in OpenOffice

Frank Cox theatre at sasktel.net
Thu Oct 18 19:03:15 UTC 2007

On Thu, 18 Oct 2007 11:54:26 -0700
centos at 911networks.com wrote:

> Here is the basic problem with Linux! Over 1 million office 2007
> users and they have to change their software because it does not
> conform to the "standard".

What problem?  A standard file format is just that:  standard.

If you choose to use non-standard, proprietary, locked-in programs and file
formats, you get to deal with the problems that come along doing that.

> Since Windows is about 90% of all the computers we have to adapt
> to them.

Er, no.  "If all of your friends were jumping off of a cliff, would you jump
off too?"

Many people switch to using Linux after they get tired of the crap that goes
along with trying to get things done with Windows.  I don't see that as a sign
that there is anything in need of fixing.

If you want it to work "just like Windows", use Windows.  Many people are
running as fast as they can to escape that, though.