[CentOS] Memory problems with CentOS box

Miguel Medalha

miguelmedalha at sapo.pt
Fri Oct 19 21:13:13 UTC 2007

Hello all

I am running CentOS 5 on a small server and I am having very strange memory malfunctions.

The computer runs perfectly with no problems whatsoever. From time to time, after a soft reboot, the computer emmits beeps corresponding to a memory fault.
It never reboots again until I find and remove a now defective DIMM. That DIMM can never be used again because it is out of order.

This just happened for the *fourth* time and is costing me a lot of hassle and perhaps expense if the manufacturer does not replace the DIMM freely.

The memory is DDR400 ECC from Kingston and of the type recommended by the motherboard's manufacturer. The board is a Tyan Tomcat i875p (S5102).

Would it be possible that the DIMMs are being destroyed by some software component from the OS, perhaps the I2C management? The DIMMs do have EPROMS... Are they being incorrectly accessed by some software component and their program modified?

Could this be the board's fault? And how?

I don't know what to think of this, I never saw anything like that in my already long experience with computers...

I must say again that this memory error *never* happens while the computer is in service, it always happened upon a soft reboot.

Any hints would be appreciated.
Thank you