[CentOS] Re: DocX support in OpenOffice

John Bowden j-alan at btconnect.com
Fri Oct 19 18:51:08 UTC 2007

On Thursday 18 October 2007 22:48:07 Scott Silva wrote:
> on 10/18/2007 2:20 PM Morten Torstensen spake the following:
> >>
> >> A filter that enables Office 2003 to open DocX files is available free
> >> from Microsoft.
> >
> > Office XP? Office 2000? The latest Office product I own is Office XP,
> > and I have no plans to update it... simply too expensive and it it not
> > cost effective.

Same version hear installed on 1 of 2 m$ machines out of 8 plus PC's, and I'm
only a hobby-est ! M$ has made me a criminal as I copied my Office 2000 disks
from one of my friends educational licenced disks.

> > //Morten
>
> I think it works all the way back to at least Office XP, and maybe 2000.

In this neck of the woods I'm the local anorak, (and proud !) So the locals
bring me their machines to fix, which in a good 75 / 80 % of instances means
backing up their "My documents directory, and re-installing windoz. Some even
bring me a big stack of games and other software disks to install for them
before tacking it home. I can't really complain as it has earned me a lot of
beer money over the years. I always install Open office telling them why I
think its better, but I let them know I will visit their home to install
Office 2000 if they find they can't live with out it. Only once has some one
asked me to do this. The average Joe Smith out there does not know or care
about document formats. They have only seen windoz on PC's from school days
to workdays.
Also a large percent of these people loose / damage their windows disk and
don't loose a single nights sleep asking me to put a pirate copy on their
machine. May be 10% are willing to let me install a copy of Linux on their
machine to give it a go, most of these want a dual boot setup and probably
half of them don't bother to have a look at the Linux boot option until their
windoz machine goes pear shaped. I tell them I'm fully book for a week or two
but if they want to give that Linux option a go I will give them telephone
support so they can access their Email or Ebay.
(Steps down and hands over the soap box)

--
Guy Fawkes, the only man to enter the house's of Parliament
with honest intentions, (he was going to blow them up!)