[CentOS] Software RAID: on same IDE port or on different ones?

Kai Schaetzl maillists at conactive.com
Mon Oct 22 14:32:00 UTC 2007

Scott Silva wrote on Thu, 18 Oct 2007 16:05:09 -0700:

> As long as the partitions were raid-autostart (fd I believe) it should pick it up.

Yeah, it wasn't a problem at all.

> Having a CDrom on a channel shouldn't be a problem as long as the drive
> supports UDMA, which I think the modern drives support.
> And losing the CD along with the failed drive is not a big deal.

No CDROM, anyway :-)

> You still need to reboot to replace the failed drive, but the system should
> run until you get there. Think about also putting your swap on raid if the box
> swaps occasionally.

Yeah, I thought about that before partitioning and first wanted to exclude swap.
Obviously, this wouldn't be a problem when a disk goes away on booting, but if it is
in the middle of operation and there's just a few data that a program needs urgently
.. I'm using a simple scheme now. There are only two partitions, one holds boot and
one holds LVM with /, /tmp, /var and swap.

I also installed grub to both drives and since I couldn't find my old information
how to do that I googled again for it and found that the page with the information
doesn't exist anymore. A *lot* of sites point to it, so this is a real pita. I found
it finally via archive.org. I wonder if it shouldn't get included in original text
in the wiki and the FAQ better point to that? (You can't link directly to the page
at archive.org and one can't be sure that it will stay available there.)
http://www.centos.org/modules/smartfaq/faq.php?faqid=47
(the last link)

Kai

--