[CentOS] Installing Skype in CentOS (4.4)

Andrew Allen andy.allen at virgin.net
Mon Oct 22 17:40:46 UTC 2007

> While I do not normally recommend using statically compiled binaries or
> installing programs that are not RPMS, in this case there is no real
> choice, other than breaking your system by upgrading qt ... which I
> would never recommend.
>
> I can not make a "Redistributable" RPM, as Skype is not GPL ... so
> please don't ask :D
>
> But, what you can do is download the Linux "Static" version:
>
> http://www.skype.com/go/getskype-linux-static
>
> You can put it in any directory initially (you will want to save it, I
> personally put all non-RPM installed software in a directory under
> /root/ so that I know what is installed ... Then you need to untar the
> file like this (you need to be root to do this):
>
> ====================================
> COMMANDS
> ====================================
> tar -xvjf  skype_static-<version>.tar.bz2
>
> cd skype_static-<version>
>
> mkdir /usr/share/skype
>
> cp -a * /usr/share/skype/
>
> cd /usr/share/skype/
>
> mv skype /usr/bin/
>
> mv skype.conf /etc/dbus-1/system.d/
>
> chown <your-username>.<your-group> skype.desktop
>
> mv skype.desktop ~<your-username>/Desktop
>
> ====================================
> END COMMANDS
> ====================================
>
> You should now see skype on your desktop, and you can right click the
> launcher and change the icon (pictures in /usr/share/skype/icons) now.
>
> Thanks,
> Johnny Hughes

Thanks Johnny,
I'll try installing skype the way you suggest - and thanks to others
who've sent helpful replies. One question though - don't want to appear
stupid, but what exactly is qt - I don't think it's the kernel (is it)
but it's obviously a major part of the OS? By the way, are these
deficiencies resolved in CentOS 5, which I have on my laptop (CentOS 4.4
is on my PC)?

Actually, I've just tried that and the launcher's now on my desktop - but how do I launch skype? When I (right) click on it nothing happens or try to launch from the command line, I get these errors:

skype: error while loading shared libraries: libsigc-2.0.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Again thanks,

Andy