[CentOS] Upgrading PHP + MySQL on CentOS 3

Johnny Hughes johnny at centos.org
Tue Oct 23 09:07:40 UTC 2007

David Zentgraf wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a CentOS 3 server that I need to update to MySQL 5 + PHP4. I
> downloaded and installed the MySQL client and server RPM packages for
> Red Hat 3, including the Shared Compatibility Libraries which provide
> /usr/lib/libmysqlclient.so.10, .12, .14 and .15, which seems to be the
> recommended way of upgrading a MySQL 3 installation. I then went on to
> recompile PHP 4.4.7, which worked fine. But my PHP installation is still
> using libmysqlclient.so.10, which does not play 100% correctly with the
> current MySQL 5 server. I'd need it to use libmysqlclient.so.15.
> Apparently /usr/lib/php4/mysql.so is linked to libmysqlclient.so.10.
>
> How do I update/replace/relink the php-mysql connector to have PHP talk
> to MySQL using the current client libraries?
>
> Any hints'd greatly appreciated.

If you compile it on a machine that has only mysql-5.x and
mysql-devel-5.x on it, it should then link against the proper files.

Hopefully you are making RPMS and not doing installs from source.  I
would also try to stay with the CentOS RPMS (in CentOS-4 we have
php-4.3.9) as you know those will be supported and get security updates
until 2012 ... BUT php-4 will most likely not last that long from php.net.

You should (though I have not tried it) be able to compile the php-4.3.9
SRPMS from CentOS-4 on CentOS-3.  You might also get the mysql SRPMS for
MySQL from the CentOS-4 CentOSPlus repo and recompile on CentOS-3.

If I was going to do mysql-5 and php-4 on CentOS-3, that is what I would
do ... though I would most likely do it on CentOS-4 instead and get a
newer version of apache too.

Thanks,
Johnny Hughes